Thursday, July 26, 2007

NO LEAKS!!!

A moment of silence please... For what you ask? For the many disposable diapers who valiantly attempted their duty, utterly failed and lost their lives in the process. They gave it their all. I'm sorry to say it was not enough. I am however thrilled to report that we've recruited a new kind of diaper and following their first day of active duty, I am proud to say that they have not let me down. In fact, this is the first day in many moons that we have not had a leak of ANY kind. (You were right Phyllis!) Plus, they are super cute, easy, and I actually feel good about putting them on my child. =) Not to mention that the landfills in our area have reported a 75% decrease in their clientele. (Okay, not really.)

Speaking of landfills, they have become of great interest to me as of late. Well, not exactly landfills, but what we're placing IN them. In fact, I think you could say that this is my new passion: going green. Atleast that's the new "trendy name" for simplifying, saving money, doing what is best for the environment, saving energy, fulfilling my moral obligation and my responsibilty to walk in love, etc. I have made it my new hobby to continually think up new ways to do this. So far we have changed all of the light bulbs in our house to compact fluorescents, we never use paper plates or plastic water bottles (never have), we've started a compost pile, and will replant our garden in Aug. We are keeping the A/C at 82, we've disconnected the ice maker, put up a clothes line, used cloth diapers for Caiden, we try to carpool everywhere we can. We hand wash dishes and recycle everything. We're not going to buy more cleaning supplies when we run out- instead we'll use vinegar, baking soda, and alcohol for various cleaning agents (NOT together of course!)

I'm not trying to make this a list of "look what I've done" but to share ideas. It's not really that much more difficult. And when you think about it, the whole idea that Jesus came to redeem the world, to restore it, to use us as agent of change, - it makes sense when you consider how much of an impact one family can make. Plus, think about how the consumptive changes we make will effect those in other countries who really suffer from our excess. I really believe that this isn't just an environmental change, it's a one with spiritual ramifications. And let's not minimize the influence one family has on others who may make their own changes...It can be so beautiful if we work together! Who's in??!!

3 comments:

Mrs said...

I confess, you had me until you turned off the ice maker and lowered the AC to 82! This is the first time we've HAD an ice maker! I DO keep our AC at 75 (NOT 68!) or the kids upstairs would roast in their beds.

I've used cloth napkins forever. I look for them at garage sales, or extreme clearance sales. I didn't buy paper products because we couldn't afford them! (I'm using leftover camping stuff now, but once that's gone, they're gone.)

One thing. . . have you looked into having your "grey water" rerouted to your garden? Our washer drains into our front planter. Depending on which detergents you use, plants do well this way. I think there's some connection with the phosphates?

Shannon said...

No, I don't know much about "grey water" but I've been harvesting all of Caiden's evening bath water to water the garden. It hasn't killed anything off yet. =) Did ya'll rig your water that way, or did someone else have to do it? LMK!

Mrs said...

We did it ourselves. It was filling our septic too quickly! I know people in the desert do it all the time, so I'm wondering what the regulations are on this here in Florida (we didn't ask). I also noticed the people across the street have done the same thing.

I know someone else who keeps a bucket near their trash can. Any glasses with water left in them get dumped into the bucket, and they use it on their flowerbeds. Of course, that won't work once Caiden is mobile!

Thanks for letting me snuggle her on Sunday. She feels like heaven.

:-)