Saturday, September 09, 2006

More news on the home front

Well, I am nearing the end of my 6th month (how did that happen!) and for posterity's sake, (does that even apply to computer blogs?) I would like to annouce, with drumroll please, that our precious little baby is a GIRL!! Surprise! I think 95% of people thought we were having a boy, so I started to think that way too. We had two names picked out for a boy, and not much progress with a girl name...last time I listen to the general concensus! Now we have a lot of work to do on the name front. =) However, we will do it with joy and anticipation! Here are some pics of her from the sonogram 2 weeks ago.




It has been fun "bonding" with our little girl. Even in utero she seems to have a personality. She like to "communicate" with gusty kicks during music and prayer, and especially to her Daddy's voice. I know it seems silly to think that she understands what he says to her, but she has responded quite appropriately about 95% of the time- and even more so to his "serious" voice. The serious Daddy voice comes out when she's doing gymnastics when I'm trying to sleep, or when she's in an uncomfortable spot and kicking me, or when she wakes me up at her typical 3:00AM and 6:00AM. times and won't settle down so I can fall back asleep. She's a very active little girl. I know she's still tiny, so I can only imagine what this will feel like when we get closer to the due date. =) But, I am enjoying and cherishing every move and kick. How amazing that this child is growing so perfectly inside of me! I think when she is here, I will miss her kicks, just a little.
We just bought a crib on ebay for very cheap. It's beautiful solid cherry wood and matches the glider the Wacker's gave us perfectly! How fun!
My friend and college roomie just had a little boy, Christopher Thomas Billman, a few weeks ago at home, and he was born in a grand total of 3 hours. (Yes, that's including labor and transition, and pushing!!) So, I'm beginning to pray for a similiarly short/uncomplicated labor. Of course because of it's short duration, it was very intense, but she did it! YEAH Caroline!
She is using cloth diapers for her little boy, and was telling me about them. Of course they are a lot of work, but it just sounds like something I should try. It just makes sense money-wise, and environmentally, and even physically. However, I don't know the least bit about them. Does anyone have any advice or ideas in that area? Thanks!

8 comments:

Kathy (Phyllis' Mom) said...

Shannon--What joy to be able to view her precious face and hand! How can anyone who sees doubt God's incredible creativity?

We delight with you and Jeff (and your extended families) in these days of expectancy. Much love....

Phyllis said...

Oh! You're wonderful! I was going to beg to see those, but then I decided not to. And you shared them anyway! СПАСИБО! She is so cute. :-)

I am a self-proclaimed cloth diaper expert. What do you need to know? Allie has already picked my brain on this subject.

Kathy (Phyllis' Mom) said...

And I forgot to say, Phyllis is an authority on the cloth diaper issue (in my mind, at least).

Allie said...

Cute pictures! My mom emailed them to me a bit ago - I guess your mom sent them to her. Congratulations! Although it is a bit overwhelming in its detail, the cloth diaper section onthis website: http://www.naturalbirthandbabycare.com/ had a lot of information. And I agree with Phyllis - the baby is very cute, and she (Phyllis) is the cloth diapering expert. :)

Phyllis said...

I just had to come by and see Cutie again. :-)

LindzML said...

I am SO happy for you!! Please let me (and my family) know if you need anything in the upcoming months...someone's always around! (And my mom knows a thing or two about cloth diapers, too) I miss you (and Jeff) and am so excited for your baby girl! She's so lucky to have such loving, Christian parents to guide her.

Mrs said...

WOW!!! How exciting! Sonogram pictures are AMAZING these days! A little girl!!!! [dance of joy]

Since you asked. . . ;-)

I used cloth for Tyler's second year and Kelly's first. My husband didn't agree with me fully (he's a man of convenience, what can I say?) so it was disposables with Glenna!

You can try to see if there's a diaper service. I enjoyed this the best. Every week they took the soiled diapers and delivered clean ones. The cost was just under that of disposables.

I found the diaper "wraps" worked best when they were smallest instead of wrestling with pins. Pins, once you get the hang of it, are fine, though! To this day I rub a pin on my scalp when I can't immediately get it to go through! The diaper wraps have velcro fasteners and do a great job. Just put the clean diaper in a clean wrap and you have clean baby!

Would love to hear how Phyllis does it! I've had the service and I've laundered my own. I think my babies potty trained early because they could "feel" when they were wet and be uncomfortable. I never used training pull-ups for this reason. They have great practice in pulling their drawers up and down, but that's about it.

Mrs said...

PS I especially missed being the only one who knew when the baby had the hiccups.