Saturday, November 12, 2005

Welcome!

Well, I finally did it! I have set up my second blog- mainly for Phyllis, so she can keep up with me in Russia! =) Sorry it's taken me so long!

I just want to say that someone out there is brilliant. This has got to be the easiest way to keep in touch with friends/family in long-distance situations. And I have a lot of them- I would say most of my friends are in places like Sierra Leone, Russia, Canada, India, Iraq, and various states that are not at all close to me. I'm not quite sure how that happened- I know that's a good thing for the world, but I'm quite sure it's not been a fun thing for me. =)

Well, today is Saturday- sigh... it's the only day in a few weeks that's been totally empty. Which is why my house looks like it does..and why I'm doing this instead of cleaning it. =)

But, I wanted to "journal" what happened last Wednesday before I forgot. Anna B. - the senior in our y.g. who lost her dad, came to youth group last week. She joined us in the office for prayer time before we started. Let me explain- prayer time, is when we try and stuff as many teenagers and adults into Jeff's office as we can, turn out the lights, light some candles, get on our faces and pray for the night, for Jeff, for the band, and for ourselves as we prepare to enter into worship. It's gotten larger and larger and I think this night we had about 25 people in his little 7' by 11' room. Anway, God showed me a picture for Anna, and the interpretation but I didn't feel like I should share it with her during this time. So when we ended I pulled her aside and shared with her the picture. It was of a butterfly struggling to escape it's coccoon. If you know anything about butterflies, you know how important it is for it to go through this struggle- if it doesn't, then the butterfly will be "crippled" or maybe even die. God showed me that he was inviting Anna to struggle, to wrestle with Him- if you will. That He wanted her to be open and raw and vulnerable with Him in her pain. He longed for that kind of intimacy with her. And that it was important that she go through this struggle. As soon as I finished, Anna collapsed on her knees and put her head on my lap and started to weep. And then sob. Joy, a very wise older woman in our church gave her a pillow and told her that He wanted it all. And so she grabbed it and screamed into it, and hit it, and stomped and cried. It was so hard to be there, but at the same time, it was so necessary for her to walk through this with Jesus knowing that someone else was there with her. I was praying and crying with her and Joy was interceding like I've never seen before. Here is this 70 something woman on her knees, rocking back and forth, crying and praying for her in powerful intercession. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. I know I will learn a lot from this woman! But, while we were there I realized that we were participating in what the Jewish people call "sitting shivah". Jeff talked about it a few weeks ago. It's when friends and random people come sit with the grieving family - it's called the ministry of presence. They just sit, and cry with them as needed, hold them- and don't even say a word. Jesus did it when Lazerus died. Jeff said, "If Jesus can have a good cry, so can I." =)
Anway, when it was all said and done, Anna felt better, and you could tangibly feel the presence of God. What a huge blessing to be a part of that!
That's all for now...

1 comment:

Phyllis said...

Thank you for starting this. And what a story to start with! I'll be praying for your young butterfly.

What does Withwards mean?